Monday, January 12, 2009

Weekend!

So Friday we all needed a break from the orientation a.k.a a second camp war eagle, so we went to a bar in Alcala. Bars here are very different, 1. its much cheaper 2. you get a free sandwich or slice of pizza with EVERY drink (called Tapas) 3. you smell like an ashtray when you leave (because EVERYONE smokes) and 4. They never close. It had snowed that morning so there was still snow everywhere and it was miserable! I will never live near snow!
Saturday a couple of us went to Madrid. We were suppose to have a school wide tour but because of the weather we could not go so instead a few of us did. My friend Macon has a friend who lives in Madrid so we took the train to Atocha station and met him and then he showed us around. We went to Plaza Mayor, the center of Madrid, Plaza Sol, and we walked down the street with the Prado and all the museums. It was a lot of fun and we planned out my birthday for thursday in Madrid. Then we came back to Alcala and had a drink at a local pub. Devin and I were exhausted though so we left soon.
Sunday my bags finally arrived! I had to go buy some underwear from this cheap chinese store that I swear just finds anything to sell. I was so happy when my bags came though! Sunday was a very lazy day though. My charger was in my bag for my computer but it doesnt work :( so no pictures yet. I watched the holiday in spanish which was still just as good because I have all the lines basically memorized.
Today is my first day of class. I am nervous but very excited to finally have something to do.
My host family is planning a birthday party for me for Wednesday since I am going to Madrid thursday. I dont know what we are going to eat but i am sure it will be yellow or brown because everything we eat is either one of those colors but good. Last night we ate artichoke...i had a sip of water after every bite! ugh! I have also tried Duck, blood sausage, and a different type of squid. Lets just say i would take the artichoke over all of it but atleast I tried it.
Something really cool I learned is that santa claus does not bring gifts here is Spain, the three wisemen do. I thought that was pretty cool. Also all the windows have remote control blinds except for mine becuase it has a weird slant. I sleep every night with leggins, sweatpants, and a sweatshirt becase my room is so cold.
I bought a phone here and last night i talked to becca for a couple minutes. It was really good to hear her voice.
There is a ladybug rug in my bathroom so i think of mi mariquita (ladybug) or Ally all the time. Well i have to go to class!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaitlin,
    I'm so glad you got to Alcala safely and are with your family. It has been fun reading your blog...SQUID!!!! I'm very proud of you for trying it. The retreat this past weekend went very well. I think the teens had a great time. It didn't snow :-(...just rain. I miss you a lot and I'm so glad you are having a good experience in Spain. Take good care of yourself and I look forward to seeing your pictures. God Bless, hugs and cheeky love. Mommy

    ReplyDelete